Wheelchair iPad mount for 3rd gen iPad

Author: @Zeek

Description of Idea:
From user @Samantha
Hi! I am writing to request a wheelchair iPad mount for a student, the student has a large 3rd generation iPad that is 12.9 inches.

The student’s iPad functions as a communication device and currently the student does not have mounting to have consistent access to the communication device throughout all environments. The student accesses the iPad via 2 switch scanning, it would be best if due to the students positioning in the chair, the mount was made of a flexible material such as gooseneck and could be molded in many positions and angles while still being sturdy so it can be utilized on the go.

This would greatly increase the student’s progression towards becoming a more competent communicator and would allow for more opportunities for the student to express themselves across environments. This would also allow for the student to utilize the iPad to increase access to academic materials and literacy materials such as online books. Thank you so much for your time and help, I greatly appreciate it! This is incredible!

MMC Entry I.D: 6327

Here is a demo of switch scanning on an AAC device for those unfamiliar. You’ll have to watch till the end to fully understand

submitted via the ny collab switch expression of interest form
@loretodalt @Professor.Zia are there any students who come to mind who might be interested? This is another request from nyc proper. Might want to touch base with Adam and Tamara to ensure there’s no overlap in devices built.

@bingfangchen? @angelika @NicoleNavarro? @Joanbeatrice @annybaezsilfa can you help?

As a complete quadriplegic I have the same issues.

To hold my large iPad Pro I use Mogo mounts. They are made of steel, are quite rigid and are exceptionally versatile in changing angles etc. They have special mounting hardware that will mount directly to the wheelchair. This has been an excellent solution for me.

The iPad holder is at:

And all the related accessories are on that website.

I hope this works for you as well is that works for me,

Jim

2 Likes