What do you want to learn at our Troubleshooting Session?(Course participants only)

How are your projects going so far?
We have a troubleshooting session Jan 11(I sent ya’ll a calendar invite-let me know if you didn’t get it)
What do you want to learn/go over?

One of the things I initially struggle with is I thought that scratch was glitching out because I used long audio files, but turns out, I didn’t have my wristband on tight enough to ground myself! Silly me! Seriously such an easy fix!

Maybe we can help you with an easy fix too!
@valill @zhangcu2 @mlfarmer @jbengall1 @jbengall @ypeterso @lorilambert @david.markowitz @Gurbaksh_Singh

@Butzuk @lyonsm @gravescolleen

My project is going well so far! I was wondering if anybody has ideas for better storage of the makey makey? There’s lots of pieces included, but I like to keep it half way set up before a session. Any ideas on how to keep it organized and safe? Also, I’d love a list of conductive materials! My non-science brain would really appreciate that!

2 Likes

Thanks, Zee. I would like to attend the troubleshooting session but I haven’t received a calendar invite. I would like to have more information about the wristband, the one I have seems not the right one. Thanks.

1 Like

Honestly, I haven’t been working to much on it during the holidays. Anne Page and I are meeting this Friday to troubleshoot our projects. When I tried briefly to make my playdough switches it didn’t work. I didn’t try too hard at the time to sleuth the solution. Do you have any suggestions off the top of your head?

I will definitely reach out if Anne and I reach a dead end!

Happy New Year!

You make a difference,

Lori Lambert, COTA/L
Amy Houston
T.G. Barr
Greenfield
M.O. Bush

1 Like

I seem to remember shipping you one but I will check tomorrow morning

I am working on a little cardboard box with holes cut for the alligator clips to poke up and attach.
Once I get it done I will post.(This particular project I’m working on isn’t for AT but works in a similar way)

I know one of our makers @brentcourson is going to help @zhangcu2 Tracy with the same thing re the box, would be awesome to see how it turns out!

I also found I could use other wires (long thin ones), not just alligator clips so I could actually poke the wire through the hole and twist it.

@gravescolleen can it be regular playdoh or does it have to be the conductive kind?

Zee, Thanks, you did introduce a local seller to me, I got the bracelet from him for only $1, it seems not quite right.

Hey Tracy,

Am Not sure about your location but here is one link for your reference to the AntiStatic Wrist Band, looks nice as per customer reviews , CAD$3.99
https://www.amazon.ca/Anti-static-Wristband-Discharge-Electricity-TRIXES/dp/B004TQRFPE/ref=sr_1_11?dchild=1&keywords=anti+static+wristband&qid=1610024911&sr=8-11

Cheers…!! :smiley:

Thanks, Gurbaksh. That is good to know. I will buy one of those. I am living in Michigan.

1 Like

I will buy it Tracy no worries!

2 Likes

Hi Zee,
That question answers one of my questions. I was using regular play dough would I had a foil tab to make it conductive?

You make a difference,

Lori Lambert, COTA/L
Amy Houston
T.G. Barr
Greenfield
M.O. Bush

1 Like

re the foil tabs, I don’t think that would work as well…
I used to teach lessons using conductive dough, cheap and easy to make though it took me a couple times to get it right(I am not great at following instructions)

https://www.instructables.com/How-to-make-conductive-play-dough/#:~:text=Step%201%3A%20Conductive%20Dough&text=Mix%20water%2C%201cup%20of%20flour,the%20center%20of%20the%20pot.

Awesome….thank you for this.

You make a difference,

Lori Lambert, COTA/L
Amy Houston
T.G. Barr
Greenfield
M.O. Bush

1 Like

I have an issue that maybe I can get best resolved in the trouble shooting session. I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. It works as it looks in this picture. I have the alligator clip clipped onto conductive tape on cardboard. When you push on the play-doh it activates. However, when I put the 3D tactile symbol on top of the playdoh and push down, nothing happens. Any ideas? (Please understand I have little to no understanding of electronics and circuits)

Thanks
Val

Here’s a picture of what it looks like with the 3D tactile symbol on top

1 Like

Valerie just checking
2 things:(I am new to this too)

• Are you also wearing the wristband on the other hand (attached to the strip at the bottom of the Makey Makey board?) Make the wristband is tight to your skin\

• Not sure that the plastic on the symbol button will be conductive. What you could do, is add conductive tape on the arrow or top of the switch(or conductive paint on the whole top part of the button might be even easier/more surface area) then make sure there’s a little tab leading off that’s attached to the alligator clip. Unless expert @gravescolleen can think of anything better!

Hi Zee,

I will be coming into the Check in time a little late because I see a kiddo until a little after 3. It’ll be close to 3:15 when I can log on.

Lori Lambert, COTA/L
Phone Extension 11520 Amy Houston Academy
Extension 11427 T.G. Barr

Amy Houston Academy
T.G. Barr
C.O. Greenfield
Maxine O. Bush

1 Like

So I need to have something conductive on the top of the 3D printed icon? I tried conductive tape on the bottom, and that didn’t work. Does anyone have any suggestions of inexpensive conductive paint? I was looking on Amazon and was a bit overwhelmed. Thanks.

1 Like

Has to be on the top-where the user touches it and continue on to the where the alligator clips are attached OR if you want the compression to activate the switch, the conductive tape etc has to be on the top for the user to touch, but then transfer to the bottom of the symbol, to the playdoh. I have not tried playdoh myself re conductive properties, sounds like Colleen has a handle on that!