Tinktube Modular Mounting System

@MMC_Chad shared a relatively new modular mounting company that serves Canada and the US. They offer pipes and fittings that can be used to create various projects using simple tools like a tube cutter and a hex key.

There is a similar product in the US called Maker Pipe that is based on locally available EMT conduit.

• Does anyone have experience using this type of product to create AT solutions?
  • What do you think it could be used for?
  • Are there accessories that would be useful? (e.g. a camera mount / 1/4"-20 UNC adapter for mounting switches, etc?)
2 Likes

Thanks for the share! They are going to give Maker Pipe a run for their money. I’ve been using Maker Pipe a good deal for personal projects (my kitchen, closet, etc.) but haven’t used it for mounting due to the weight of conduit pipe and the fact they only have fixed joints. Ideally a mounting system would have some easy way to swing away for transfers. It seems that tinktube does have some fittings that allow for motion. The tubes also seem to be lighter in weight? Looks promising. I’m curious to hear if anyone else has used it.

1 Like

One of the fellas at our local hackspace mentioned he “weighed a 22cm piece and it was 150 grams” - so yes, much lighter than EMT.

2 Likes

Source: Steel pipe coated with PE Flexpipe (flexpipeinc.com)

Took a little digging, but the specs from Tinktube list a weight of 3.569 lb per 92 inches, which works out to 0.4655 lb / ft or 0.6927 kg / m. This matches the measurement of the 22 cm chunk.

Unfortunately, I think that makes it pretty comparable to the 3/4" EMT conduit used in Maker Pipe in terms of weight/length.

TinkTube has a bigger diameter, (27.6 mm vs 23.5 mm OD for the EMT) so it should be stiffer.

2 Likes