Syracuse NY Chapter

@ConnorM is our chapter leader in Syracuse, NY!
Thought you could introduce yourself and give a bit of background on yourself /context in case anyone in your area finds themselves on the forum looking for a connection!

If anyone in the Syracuse NY area wants to introduce themselves feel free to “reply to this thread” and say hi!

• Who are you and where are you based out of?
  • What do you do, and what are your passions and areas of interest in assistive tech (and otherwise?)
  • What are you hoping to get out of the experience of being an MMC Leader or member?
  • What are you interested to know about other Chapter Leaders and members?

If you want to start your own thread that is relevant to the Syracuse area, start a new thread by clicking on Purple square that says “US Chapters” and then click “New Topic” on the right hand side. Add Syracuse NY in the title and tags as well as some words that indicate the post topic.

If you want to talk about devices or other topics, they might fit better under an existing category in the forum so check out your options! We can help by stepping in to move threads is necessary.

Go to www.makersmakingchange.com and login. Then, click on the forum tab and log in. Here is a video that walks you through the process.Tag me if you need help!

2 Likes

Hi everyone! My name is Connor and I am the MMC chapter leader for Syracuse New York. My formal training is in industrial design. I am also the program coordinator for ARISE Adaptive Design, a program that builds adaptive equipment for and with people with disabilities out of unique building techniques and affordable materials. We are primarily a volunteer program, utilizing the skills and charity of physical and occupational therapists, clinicians, designers, engineers, students, and makers in our community. AAD is currently looking for other makers and maker groups in the community who would like to team up on MMC projects as well. We are happy to tackle a wide array of requests.

3 Likes

Hi @ConnorM. ARISE Adaptive Design looks like an excellent organization. The extensive use of cardboard reminds me of the Adaptive Design Association. How did you initially get involved with assistive technology?

1 Like

Funny you mention that @brentcourson, that’s how we originally better start. The Adaptive Design Association came up to Syracuse to lead a group of us in a cardboard adaptive design buildathon in 2016 and our effort or from there.

3 Likes