Request for Lap Tray

Message from User:
I’m needing a lap tray made for my wheelchair. 18" wide and 12" deep. I would like an edge guard to prevent items from slipping off the tray. On the left side of tray, I would like to have a slightly inset to set a cup into.Please connect with me if you can make this for me!

Needs design. Please reply below if you can help!

@MMC_Chad found this in the Superstore. Right dimensions, just need an inset for the cup.
Is there Superstore in MB? @MMC_Suzanne?

1 Like

Yes I can take a look tomorrow probably.

1 Like

Hi Suzanne,

Is this still outstanding ? If so, I can handle. Pretty straightforward. I have the tools at home and pretty sure I have some wood that I can use.

Marc

1 Like

Hi Marc, Thanks for reaching out. I’ll check in with the requester and get back to you.

1 Like

Hi there,

Is help still needed here? I’d be happy to help, I could create a 3D printed design.

Julia

1 Like

Hi again Julia-thx for offering to help with these requests!
@MMC_Suzanne is our Regional Coordinator in this area and can update you if the user doesn’t reply.

1 Like

Hi Julia, I am not sure what area you are in but the requester is in Manitoba. I do have a maker who has connected with the requester to help but I’m not sure what design he is using. I can connect you via email if you would like to contact the maker, you may be able to work together to find a solution?

Please let me know if you are ok with me passing your email details on.

Thanks Suzanne

1 Like

Hi Suzanne,

I am from the British Columbia area. I am not sure I can help if the maker is creating the device using woodworking tools, but if the maker is incorparting a 3D Computer Aided Design I could help. I am okay with passing on my email to the maker to see if we can collaborate.

Thanks,
Julia

Ok Julia, I know the maker, Marc, uses 3D printing so it might be something you can work on together for a 3d version? I’ll pass on your details.

Thanks

Okay, thank you!

@juliacpaler and I are working on this. First concept drawing done.

3 Likes

Concept drawing approved. Just waiting on some measurements to create a mockup. Tray needed to be anchored to the chair so we went with velcro straps around the armrests. In addition, L brackets (or U brackets if I can find large ones) will sit on either side of each armrest to provide lateral stability,

Drawing is just to show the idea, actual tray likely much smaller as I’d worry about the lever effect with such a large unsupported surface.

Marc

3 Likes

@MMC_Suzanne. This is great Marc! Keep us updated! I know Suzanne is away this week but if you need help or have any questions just reply and I can support you.

This is amazing Marc. Thank you for your hard work on this. Looking forward to seeing the final product.

1 Like

Quick update, the prototype, using foamcore, is complete and will be delivered tomorrow. Regrettably, with the pandemic, I can’t test fit so user will fit an take photos and suggest any changes. Unsure of final materials as there is a large unsupported section and a thin neck on the joystick side. Thinking of adding metal reinforcing strips or T connector to the underside in order to keep material thickness and weight to a minimum. Will make next model out of 1/8" hardboard to test.

4 Likes

You’re the best! thanks for this great update and photo! Let us know how it goes and don’t hesitate to ask for feedback if you need it! We can tag other people in the community who might have expertise in this!

@marchache1717 your tray design is looking great. I was talking to a few rehab engineers over the weekend who mentioned the frequent need for wheelchair lap trays. I look forward to seeing your finished product.

1 Like

Thanks. Met with the health care aide and got some feedback. Working on V2 of the prototype now for delivery Wednesday. According to the aide part of the challenge with these trays is that the chair configurations tend to be unique to the individual so a standard one is difficult.

2 Likes

Plywood could be an option here. Could be cut with a jigsaw or a laser or CNC if that is available. (Laser would provide some nice customization options). That would be relatively easy to glue up and finish in a way that is easy to clean.

Acrylic is another commonly used material, and probably the easiest to clean. Downside being it is harder to cut cleanly without access to a laser/waterjet and is far more expensive. Making the lip around the edge in pieces could cut down on the material required.

1 Like