Request for Customizable, 3D Printable Keyguard for Grid-based, Free-form, and Hybrid AAC Apps on Tablets (Valhalla NY)

Requestor: @Zeek

I need ideally keyguards cut for LAMP (message window open) / and. proloquo2go (5 x 9) grid size for the classic pure sense cases for iPad 6 generation/ iPad Air and iPad Pro 2019( model). These are used to evaluate AAC use across the lifespan and for CPSE children to borrow as assistive Technology devices to communicate.

Ty for your consideration

MMC Entry .I.D: 6289

This device was submitted via the switch expression of interest form for the nyc switch collab event series.

@ConnorM @tracyfleming this is the one from the spreadsheet in your area you any of you makers can help(I will email and invite to forum but you have their contact info as well)

@ZKv @tracyfleming I’m wondering if one of @loretodalt @loretod 's builders may be interested in taking this on? We’re pretty swamped right now, so I worry that it won’t get done in a timely fashion. However, I can see if one of the local school groups may be interested if Loretto isn’t able to take it on.

1 Like

Also maybe @larioc? seems like they have a laser cutter as well. @KenHackbarth has some amazing resources on how to do this if anyone needs help!

@Gemma contact me via this web form and we can talk further about your needs:

Thanks,
Ken

Ok great! Thanks so much for connecting @KenHackbarth. Valhalla is in our neck of the NY woods but alas I don’t know a maker with laser cutter access. YET!

1 Like

@larioc has one but I can imagine she might be busy for a bit!

Would these be able to be made on a 3-D printer? If I remember right, some in the assistive devices catalog were 3D printed.

1 Like

Hi @ConnorM,
my keyguard designer can be used to create both 3D-printed and laser-cut keyguards.
Ken

1 Like

@KenHackbarth thanks so much. I have been thinking that 3D printer is the most accessible way to get help. Laser cutter is very smart too and I love the professional ones we get funded but for a nonprofit it’s just not possible. I have a local highschool STEM team willing to help and I had set up a few designs on thinkserve for keyguards processing still for weeks now. The school would be willing to print some if I can get the files together. I’m not 100% sure I input things in correctly to the site.

Obviously as a loan department there are many different iPads and cases and sizes depending on the model and year (thanks Apple for the consistency) with lots of different applications and set ups of those apps we use. It’s not something that needs to happen in a hurry but would be so helpful to have.

1 Like

Hello @KenHackbarth,
I’m impressed with your Keyguard Designer as well as you other customizable devices?

So, specifically I’m wondering if anyone has tried CNC cutting keyguards as an option to laser cutting them. I know that access to a CNC router may be a steeper obstacle for some than access to a laser cutter but it happens to be what I have access to.

I currently have a request out to a couple local plastic suppliers in the Syracuse area for some 1/8" LowDensityPolyEthelene to be donated for testing and proof of concept. I think by using a point cutting round-over bit we can even get rounded edges on the openings.

Has anyone heard of this approach being tried?

1 Like

Hi Tracey,

Yes, one can use a CNC router to create a keyguard. There may be issues, depending on the particular material used. Keyguard AT routes its keyguards (rather than laser-cutting them) if producing a polycarbonate keyguard. I’d suggest that you touch base with them. Their email address is sales@marblesoft.com.

Thanks,

Ken

1 Like

@loretodalt, @ConnorM,

I’ve contacted @gwhite to set up a day/time to talk about her needs. I’ll be in touch once we’ve had our meeting.

Ken

1 Like

Great thanks @KenHackbarth

1 Like

Hi all,

@ConnorM, @tracyfleming, @loretodalt I met with Gemma this morning to talk about her needs. Please message me and tell me your email address, and I’ll set up a meeting for us to talk about what those needs are and how you want to participate in fulfilling them.

Thanks,
Ken

2 Likes

@ConnorM, @tracyfleming, @loretodalt, just want to be sure that you see my entry above. I added you via an edit and the forum software might not have known to notify you when I saved the edit…

Ken

2 Likes

I did see it @KenHackbarth. I also got some plastic samples yesterday to test my cutters on for routing key guards.

I’m willing to connect to see if/how I can help. I think I will be participating in this particular thread as an individual member and not as a representative of ARISE so please do consider me in on this request, I’m just doing it as an individual volunteer. Not that any of that matters.

Let me know what would be a good time to connect to get more details.

Tracy

1 Like

Just checking in to bring everyone up to date. I’ve met with Gemma to talk about her requirements and have provided keyguard design training to Loreto, Tracy, and others. Gemma is on her way and everyone has something to work on. I’m on call as needed.

Ken

2 Likes