PVC Assistive Mounting System

The PVC Assistive Mounting System is a collection of readily available commercial-off-the-shelf components and 3D printed components that can be assembled into various configurations to provide mounting solutions for assistive technology.

This project is a work-in-progress, and will incorporate more components and configurations as it develops.

Configurations:

LipSync Desk Mount

Small Button Mount

Large Button Mount

Work-in-progress

Tablet Mount

Work-in-progress

Components

Camera Quick Clamp

Cable Clip

Work-in-progress

Superclamp Adapter

Work-in-progress

Round Tube Adapter

Work-in-progress

Wheelchair Rail Adapter

Work-in-progress

I really like the concept of using PVC to make holders. PVC is cheap, fairly rigid for holding things like LipSync and easy to work with. The furniture grade stuff can also be attractive, though with shipping it can be expensive. I have built assistive devices for over 20 years and found that white PVC used for plumbing and readily available at hardware stores also works. Acetone removes the ink stamping for a more attractive look.

A possible alternative to using C clamps to mount the LipSync to a table can be made from bent plastic. An example is:

. These can be made for different thickness of tables. I did a write up of how it is done at https://tetranet.tetrasociety.org/t/slip-on-table-clamp/129. Unfortunately this link does not take you directly to the article, you have to scroll down to “Slip on Table Clamp”.to see the write up

Have you given any thought to how you could mount things to a wheelchair? This is often a difficult problem as no two chairs are alike. We have found things like handlebar clamps are useful. One example can be found at https://www.amazon.ca/Handlebar-Off-Road-Horizontal-Mounting-Holder/dp/B078RFQ77R. This is a strong clamp with plastic inserts to accommodate different diameter tubes.

Other useful extensions would be things like a 1" ball that would allow use with RAM mounts and an adapter to Loc-Line. Have you thought about these?

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your comments, @db18. We’re hoping to compile all the tips and tricks, so it is much appreciated. Using acetone to clean up the markings is a good one.

I tried to access the instructions for the Slip-On-Table Clamp but it looks like it requires a login. Are you using heat to bend acrylic there?

Part of the challenge with mounting the LipSync is that significant forces are involved when the user interacts with it, so the mounting needs to be really rigid or the whole thing will move and flex. Would be interesting to test to see if the plastic clamp would provide enough resistance. Even if it isn’t a good match for the Lipsync, it may find good use for lighter objects.

This is and has been an ongoing challenge. I have some functional prototypes for connecting to round tubing and several types of the power chair rails. The plan is to make those designs available and get some more input and testing on them. Developing something that is easy to produce, easy to install, and holds rigidly has been a challenge.

We do have a design for a 1" RAM ball adapter for the Lipsync that has a 1/2" NPT thread. We should probably explicitly list it as an option for using RAM arms with PVC via a threaded adapter.

Similarly, we have some of the 1/2" NPT LocLine adapters and have tested using them in combination with PVC. I’m not sure how readily available those parts are relative to the tubing. LocLine does offer CAD models of many of their components, so if there is a specific size you think would be useful to make a custom 3d printed adapter, let us know.

I understand that it is not possible to get into the site where I listed how to make slip-on acrylic clamps. I have attached a Word version so that you can see the process. For greater clamping force use a thicker grade plastic (ie 6 - 8mm) and make the rod used in the bending exactly the same size as the table thickness. It also helps to increase the clamp size so that friction forces must be larger to move it. Adding some Dycem non-slip material under the clamp would also likely improve resistance to slipping.Acrylic clamps.docx (692.6 KB)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Doug. There could be an opportunity here for a 3D printed version of the clip for lighter loads for anyone that may not have access to acrylic scraps or a laser cutter.

I’m also a big fan of Dycem and have a message into their applications department to determine the best way to adhere Dycem to another object.

1 Like

For the wireless LipSync made at the November Buildathon, I made a simple mount using a bar clamp, 1/2" PVC and several 1/2" Loc-Line pipes. The 1/2" PVC is held onto the bar clamp using Inta-Morph. The property to look for in a prospective bar clamp is the placement of the release mechanism. Note that this (DeWalt 4.5 inch) clamp has its release on the same side as the tightening trigger. (Some clamps have the release trigger on the opposite side as the tightening trigger which may interfere with the Insta-Morph!)

Also, this setup may be used with a variety of MMC AT!

3 Likes

thx for posting your design/feedback Alice!!

Came across an interesting design for a customizable end cap: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4795549

It consists of two 3d printed pieces that are attached with a bolt and a nut. The whole assembly is inserted into the pipe, and when the bolt is tightened, the two parts shift and use friction to lock them into place.

I had experimented with a similar axial version but wasn’t able to get it to lock securely.

The designer shows an ‘unusual usage’ where three sets of these are used with a fourth component to form a three way connector. There is definitely the potential to use something like this in a joint or connector for the PAM system.