Post earring back applicator

Author: @atrc

Description of Idea:
Hello. I am looking for a device to assist me in putting on the backs of earrings for post earrings. This is quite a challenge to do one handed. I have not been able to successfully wear post earrings for this reason since my stroke. In my mind, it will have handles like scissors and work like pliers. I have searched the internet and cannot find anything to accomplish this task. This device will be able to help many people with fine motor deficits like stroke, tbi, and arthritis.

Thank you,
Heather

MMC Entry I.D: 7165

Hi Heather,

I found this image of the different earing back types, is it the standard push back you would need designed for ?

Are you envisioning something that would hold the front of the earring on one half, and the back on the other and then you’d pinch together putting it through the hole (similar to an ear piercing gun) or are you thinking the earring would already be in the ear and the device would aid in putting the back on ?

Marc

@marchache1717 It would be for the standard push back.

Thanks Heather,

Here’s what I’m thinking, let me know if you think this approach would work. This approach would assume the earring would already be in the ear.

Basic idea is to use tips that fit on an existing device, scissors for example, making the solution quicker, cheaper and perhaps customizable over designing the full device from scratch.

Design two tips to fit on a pair of scissors. One tip would be a flat or slightly concave surface to press against the earring. The other would have a small “tray” to hold the back. The tray would have a countersunk opening to guide the post into the hole on the back. You’d place the flat tip on the earring, and close the scissors to place the back on the post.

Considerations:

• Scissors close in an “scissoring” motion rather than an arc. The tips would have to factor this in. Something more like C Clamp locking pliers would have a better motion but not as readily available in a small size. There may be other, more suitable, options.

• Safety: Scissor blades would need to be long enough so that there is no chance of users getting cut

• Damage to the earring: Flat surface would have to be soft enough to avoid damaging the earring

• Variety of earrings: Not sure a single surface would be good for all earring types. A variety of tips could be designed to be interchangeable.

let me know what you think.
Marc

Hi Heather

Came across this (now discontinued) product. Would something like this work for you ? easy enough to make

Marc

Not really as it requires use of 2 hands. Although the prongs are similar to what I have in mind.

This is the same idea I had in mind. Scissor loop type handles but functioning more like needle nose pliers. With the prongs in the rear to hold the looped back and a soft, flat front piece to support the front of the earring during back application.

Sounds good. I’ll work on a design over the next few days. Do you have access to a 3D printer? If not, can you please let me know where you are located and we’ll see if we can find someone local to print it for you. Would be faysdt and easier than mail I think.

@marchache1717 I am in Scranton, PA. I do not have access to a 3D printer.

Hi Heather,

Making progress. This is just a quick print to test the motion and confirm the scale is ok for you. Motion works well. It feels a little big but I wanted to ensure the handles were comfortable. Let me know what you think.

Once you’ve confirmed, I’ll finalize the design, test it here and put you in touch with someone in your area. I expect we’ll need a revision or two once you’ve had a chance to test it.