Mouthstick holder

Author: @akobs

Description of Idea:
I work with a Kindergarten student who has Arthrogryposis and has very limited use of his upper extremities. We just got him a mouthstick, so he would quit using his nose to access the screen. He loves it! Now we need a holder to sit on his table so he can set the mouthstick in it so it is not laying on the dirty table and he can have a break from holding it in his mouth all the time. Here is a link to a picture of what we would like. It says it was 3D printed.
Thank you!

MMC Entry I.D: 6538

There are a few options available online, although they all clamp onto a desk, and not sit flat on a table like the one shown above.

Like this one
and
this one

This design looks straightforward, and I think the hollow base has screws to open the cavity and insert weights so it stays in place. I can try modelling this up, in what area is the request located?

-Noam
MMC New Orleans

I wanted to provide an update - I have this modeled and will be printing this weekend to see how it functions. Please see below - If anyone is interested in trying to print them themselves I am attaching the STL files. Fusion file can be made available upon request.

MSH base.stl (104.6 KB) MSH holder.stl (426.4 KB) MSH top.stl (84.7 KB)

1 Like

I have a prototype of this device, and it works pretty well. A couple of tweaks to tolerances are necessary.

I am happy to fix these items and send the prototype to the requester - can you help put me in contact with them @Makers_Making_Change ?

1 Like

Great work, @noamplatt. I’ve sent a message via email to the original requestor to get them connected.

Oh thank you SO much! That looks amazing! :slight_smile: I am completely new here, so just let me know what you need to know. My only request would be for it not to be pink since it’s for a 6 year old boy! With his spunky personality, I’m sure he would have something to say about that! Lol! :slight_smile:

1 Like

@akobs - Nice to meet you! We can absolutely print this in a different color, I have white and orange on hand, but am happy to get some filament in his favorite color - let me know!

I am sure once you get the device you will have some feedback and some tweaks, and that is part of the process.
But from an initial look -
do you think the tube is sized appropriately? the photos do not do a great job of showing the scale, but the base is 4"x6", and the tube opening is about 1" wide, and the tube is 4.5" deep. Let me know if you think those dimensions need to be changed.
Would you prefer a screw-less version? Or one with an open weight tray area? The design above is very simple (and effective) - we can also get a lot more elaborate, totally up to you!

Click on my user name and send me a message with your address, and maybe send a photo of the matchstick your son is using, and I will print a different-colored prototype and send off for your testing.

Thanks so much!
-Noam
MMC NOLA

1 Like