Makey Makey Case Designs

The Makey Makey device uses a lot of wires. As a disability professional, I’m sure you will be transporting this device around to use with different clients so we want to make sure we don’t lose the parts/the wires don’t get in the way during use!

@brentcourson and some of his comrades at May We Help have offered to help if you need support with a box/case design!

Thx Brent!!

1 Like

I am assuming that it would be beneficial to have a protective case for the Makey Makey and a storage box to transport the device and accessories.

Does Makey Makey have a 3D model (e.g. step) of their board they could share?

1 Like

Good question! @gravescolleen?

I’ve been trying to get us to put our MM from the STEM pack into a portable case like these photo storage boxes. That’s a quick cheap solution.

I’ve also been begging for our company to make a case like this one: https://twitter.com/kitkat_marshall/status/1031605876547887104

I manipulated a 3d Design to make a case that protects the back headers. I used this like a badge: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/8mBpXYomG8y-makey-makey-case

There are a lot of designs already out there! You don’t need to start from scratch. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing those other designs, @gravescolleen

What I was asking about was a 3D model of the Makey Makey itself, or at least the dimensions. Having access to that makes it far easier and quicker to create or modify an existing design to fit the Makey Makey. (The other option is to measure the board directly, but this requires some measuring equipment and skill.)

We have used a similar process to design the enclosures for many of our projects. Information from the printed circuit board design can be used to create a 3D model that accurately reflects the location of mounting holes, lights, buttons, etc. We can then insert this into a CAD program and virtually build an enclosure around it.

For example, here is a series of screenshots from the Sip and Puff Switch. The first image is a model of the PCB. This one has a high amount of detail, but that isn’t strictly necessary.

The second image shows a screenshot of the bottom of the enclosure, with cutouts for the adjustments, and inputs and outputs. Minimal trial and error is necessary to get the locations correct.

The final image is a screenshot of the completed enclosure with labels, etc.

This can be useful whether designing a 3D printed enclosure, or a laser cut one like the one you linked to, or someone other manufacturing technique. We can probably also help create this if for whatever reason it isn’t available.

4 Likes

This container I found in one of my closets…what a treasure! I think it’s to put small things into when placing in the dishwasher, but the holes make it easy to hook up all my wires.

1 Like

We talked to Tracy about her projects this morning.

Our lead volunteer suggested that we make a custom printed circuit board that would be connected directly to the Makey Makey. This additional circuit board would provide an expanded touch surface that would work exactly like the keypad controls on the Makey Makey. These boards would then be enclosed in a case around the edges to maximize durability and user comfort.

For blind accessibility, brail lettering would be located below the touchpad keys. We discussed using interchangeable inserts with brail so the extended control surface could be relabeled for multiple uses. Something like a laser-cut keyguard on the front could potentially help users more easily navigate the keypad.

2 Likes

@brentcourson, Brent, it was so wonderful to meet you and the team. I am very excited about the cases. @ZKv, Zee, thanks for the connection.

1 Like

I’ve measured up a Makey Makey PCB and created a model / drawing that can be used for the creation of a mating PCB and/or an enclosure:

Makey Makey 1.2AB PCB.pdf (266.4 KB)

Makey Makey 1.2AB.step (998.4 KB)

This should be fairly accurate, but let me know if you spot something that doesn’t look right. I’ll find a place to upload the original Fusion 360 files as well. The PCB appears to use a 0.01 inch design grid. The headers are a standard 0.1 inch / 2.54 mm spacing.

1 Like

Thanks, @MMC_Jake. The model is very helpful.

1 Like

@MMC_Jake, you did a good job in creating Fusion 360 model. Just curious, did you import photos of MM or you draw MM? Thanks.

1 Like

@lorilambert, I like your container. I am coping with yours with a pencil box: made a simple CAD design and 3D printed a case to hold MM, drilled 6 holes in a pencil box. Thank you! communication device

2 Likes

It is possible to use photos, and I did take some, but in this case I didn’t end up using them. I was more concerned with capturing the main dimensions accurately. Using the Canvas option can be a great way of modeling an object based on a photo, but the accuracy you can achieve is limited. (If you have access to the PCB files you can get easily get very detailed models of the circuit board components and labels. almost automatically)

Instead, I measured and created a sketch of the different silkscreens and then used the split face tool. This let me apply different appearances (e.g. white paint, red paint, silver) to the different sections and also creates lines/edges that appear even when the model isn’t coloured.

Another option would be to use a decal. May have to try that as that isn’t something I am very familiar with.

2 Likes

@MMC_Jake, thank you so much! I am not familiar with electronic stuff, this is a good learning experience. I tried to use photos, it was very messy and overwhelming. Thanks again.

1 Like

This would probably make for a good webinar. There are some pretty neat tools available to make enclosures for electronics. Fusion (3D CAD) and Eagle (PCB design) play very nice together.

2 Likes