Low cost phone mount

Low cost phone mount

Project Idea:
I know that specifying surplus parts is always a problem for maker projects: what some folks can get easily and cheaply may be completely impossible for others to find. This project started as a cheap way for me to tripod-mount a cellphone. With a little more work, it could provide a very cheap (~ $8 CAD) and reasonably robust phone mount.

There are many inexpensive surplus car vent phone adapters. I picked up an “Aduro Products Swivel Clip Luxe” for about $7. It has a clip that fits into the car vent, and on the end is a ball joint. I 3d printed a ball joint and a mount for a ¼" T-nut, and with rather a lot of superglue made this phone mount:

It could definitely use a bit more work to increase the strength and reduce the reliance on just glue to hold it together. It’s fairly rigid, and I’ve used it for a few photo setups around the office. The ball joint allows quite a range of movement and holds surprisingly well.

3 Likes

Nice work. Here’s a photo of what @SRv designed from the Thingiverse posting:
Off the shelf phone mount with 3d printed ball joint and thread adapter

For anyone wondering why the cylindrical section is cut in half and printed flat rather than printed as a whole vertically - it’s a technique to improve strength. A fillet where the ball meets the base would improve strength further.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll get to the fillet in the next revision. The split print was partly to increase strength, but mostly to avoid latitudinal print layers that might interfere with the ball joint operation.

1 Like

Updated it - now with a fillet for strength and no glue required. The ball joint halves now screw into the base, trapping the T-nut in place.

1 Like

So I got another (quite different) surplus swivel vent phone holder and it uses the same ball joint size.