Launch of inclusive Lego products

Hey Everyone,

Looks like our favorite childhood building blocks just became a bit more inclusive! Lego has released a series of braille Lego bricks in 7 countries (including the US and UK.) According to the official site, the inspiration for this new product line was heavily influenced by the scientific correlation between play and learning.

The scientific community has found increasing evidence that children are constantly learning, connecting and engaging with their surroundings through positive, playful experiences.
Children have natural-born skills and capabilities that enable them to become creative, engaged, lifelong learners. To fully flourish, these skills need to be nurtured, supported and developed as children grow.

Has anyone ever experimented with creating open-source or adapted versions of classic toys like Lego or Lincoln Logs for children with disabilities? Adding braille to tactile toys seems like a great way to improve access for those who are visually impaired. What other ways could we improve on our favorite toys? Comment below!

2 Likes

@loretod @mlevac @Bham_makerspace @Butzuk @lyonsm ?

I have used an adapted version of Candy Land using core words that correlate to LAMP words for life software. I have also switch adapted a paint spinner so that a child could access it. I have built up the pages on books so that a child can turn the pages and used virtual books with a Bluetooth switch so a child can independently turn the pages via switches!

Love the new legos I have been waiting for these to come out!!!

I also love the open files for Core Project… they have 3D printed CORE symbols to help teach language with something tangible for someone who is visually impaired.

1 Like

What a great topic! So excited to see the legos and hear about your projects @butzuk.

This was actually a summer camp topic the previous year for us. We asked the kids to come up with way to adapt connect 4 for blind users and Guess Who for non-verbal kids. They adapted the connect 4 chips by adding a custom tactile cue to both sides of the chips based on color. For guess who, they created custom visual cards for the questions (red, black, brown, hair, glasses, mustache, etc.).

1 Like