Feedback on device for children with significant disabilities to maximize the exploratory ability

Disclaimer: As many of you know, Makers Making Change doesn’t directly take or support requests for mobility devices, but we can however, help facilitate conversations around knowledge on the topic.
If you have input please reply below! Thank you!

From @brentcourson
"I received a request for a Go Baby Go from another client. The child is 3.5 years old and has CP. He has minimal strength and coordination combined with limited vision. This makes the project quite challenging, especially in terms of safety. I talked to the lead MWH volunteer who handles GBG projects and he said the parents would steer using a PVC handlebar.

According to GBG inventor Dr. Cole Galloway, the goal of GBG is to “maximize the exploratory ability of infants and toddlers with significant disabilities such a CP.” I understand the goal but question if an accelerator button alone will provide the stimulation needed for neurodevelopment. Do you know of anyone working on AT device that allows children with significant disabilities to maximize the exploratory ability? "

1 Like

For a little context, GoBabyGo is a project created by the University of Delaware: UD Mobility Technology | GoBabyGo! (udel.edu) There are chapters across North America and internationally that are centered around modifying ride-on cars (e.g. Powerwheels) for use by kids with disabilities.

How One Man’s Trip to Toys ‘R’ Us Brought Mobility to Hundreds of Disabled Kids - YouTube

2 Likes

@Bham_makerspace @Butzuk pediatric friends do you have any input to add here that might be helpful for this project?

I recommend you repost this on the RESNA forum focused on seating and mobility. That group may have more pertinent and helpful information.

3 Likes