Devices to help individuals hold small hand tools

Does anyone know of any 3D models for devices that help individuals hold small hand tools like screwdrivers, wrenches and hand saws?

Ken

1 Like

Hi Ken,

If you don’t/can’t find 3D printed devices to use, take a look at this DIY Easy Grip. This design uses shelf liners*, rubber or silicone self-adhesive tape and 1/4" refrigerator vinyl tubing. Feel free to modify as approprite.

Good luck!
@alice

* Shelf-liners in this tutorial are those used to line tool chests (solid sheet rolls). Non-solid sheets (usually used to line shelves for dishes/glasses) may be used, also. However, we find the latter make softer grips, and harder to control and clean.

1 Like

Our organization made some tool holding devices for making jewelry.

1 Like

Hello Ken. I second Alice’s idea on using shelf liner. However, you can purchase a whole roll at the dollar store and cut to fit the size you need. Another idea, if needing a built up grip, is to use pipe insulation or a pool noodle, cut to length.

Happy building!

Hi @KenHackbarth.
I think some models like the utensil holder could be modified for specific tools. Let me know if that’d be worth trying!

Hi @ctag,

Yes, absolutely. I’ve already modeled holders for round-handled kitchen utensils as well as “flatware”:

The key is to adhere to the interface standard at the bottom of the page.

1 Like

The GLIFO pen holder may offer some good inspiration for how to secure tools. Lots of insight into their design process here: GLIFO – Luca Toscano Otto (toscanotto.com)

The latest version uses 3D printed threads to lock a pen into place. GLIFO - The custom-made writing aid by OpenDot — Kickstarter

Thanks everyone for your responses to my original query. I posted the original almost a year ago. The individual asking for help was looking for a way to hold a tool to put screws in wood. Specifically, a birdhouse project with his child/grandchild. We settled on using a T-handle, ratcheting screwdriver available at Harbor Freight. Needless to say there’s a lot of context associated with the assembly: positioning the work piece, selecting and orienting the screw (the tool has a magnetic tip so it can aid in bringing the screw to the work piece), holding the screw driver, applying torque, reversing direction as necessary. then repeating the process with the next screw.

Doing this right - i.e., taking the entire process into account - is a huge, and often custom, effort. I tried to leverage a bit of technology that I’d already developed - a customizable palm loop with a couple of defined physical interfaces. The quality of those definitions is up for debate.

What we settled on was the design at the bottom of the web page I indicated earlier. I printed it in TPU so it would be easier on his skin, flexible, indestructible, and provide some grip.

1 Like