Often, mounting is a critical part of ensuring a user is able to use a particular assistive technology safely, effectively, and reliably, or it may be an assistive technology in itself by positioning or holding something a user would otherwise be unable to.
Mounting solutions can be used to position a variety of devices such as:
- tablets, laptops, mobiles phones, cameras
- communication devices, eye-gaze devices
- access switches, alternative pointing devices (e.g. LipSync)
While a range of commercial options exist, many are extremely expensive.
A cost-effective, maker-friendly AT Mounting Solution should:
- be easily adjustable by the user or a care-giver
- connect to a variety of bases (e.g. desk, table, manual wheelchair, power wheelchair)
- be based on components that are readily available, commercial off-the-shelf parts, or maker-manufacturable (e.g. 3D printing)
- not require specialized tools for assembly or adjustment
- interface with standard mounting adapters (like 1/4"-20 UNC tripod mounts / switch adapters)
- not obstruct the user’s vision
- not impede the user’s ability to transfer
- be easily moved out of the way in an emergency