Clip Attachment for Switch(for Firefly Bath Chair)

Author: @Zeek

Description of Idea:
From user @Athena
Hello,
My son is 3 1/2 years old and is currently not attending any of his therapies since covid hit last February and he started virtual learning…My son has CVI (Visual Impairment), Infantile Spasms, Myoclonic spasms, LGS, developed delays in many areas, Hypotonia and a few other conditions…Covid really has affected how we can get items like switches to try out with him to learn while being in any of his equipment at home.

We are looking for a clip attachment which will to hold any switch button to clip to his firefly bath chair and firefly go to seat when we take him outdoors similar like the photo that’s attached…It’s hard for me to facilitate him while holding the switch button myself for him to play with toys or his bubble machine…

Here is the firefly bath chair https://www.fireflyfriends.com/ca/splashy

Below is example of how it could perhaps be attached

MMC Entry I.D: 6238

1 Like

This request came through our New York Switch Expression of Interest form. I sent this to our PA chapter contact Kim (not on forum yet) @thomasd same user as mount for AAC/Ipad

@FutureMakersAcademy heads up as well if you can help!

1 Like

Hi again! This one also in PA! Look at all the action in my state!

So, there is this system out there are super expensive. I found the a 3D file for the “modular hose” that is attaching the button to the clip. If the thingaverse file doesn’t work we can rig it with industrial twist ties. Is there a timeline for this?
Thanks!

2 Likes

Following up to this. I found and edited a file for lock-line that works great on my 3D printer. I made 5 links so far and it is looking good. Will need sects for the length of the lock-line that she needs and the size of the base to mount the switch.

This is the file I found https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:666830
A little wonky and I needed to increase the total size of the links by 1.5 times :smile:

2 Likes

That 3d printed locline looks interesting…ever seen this @MMC_Jake? Not sure if this could work as well for the attachment? @thomasd PAMS Camera Quick Clamp
We are experimenting with low cost mounting options.

Hi! Just checked that link out. That could definitely work. The great thing about these links is that you can put a screw in it to secure it in place. I know that its helpful to also be able to move it as well, but it gives the flexibility.

1 Like

I am sure @MMC_Jake would love feedback if you end up using this as well as still exploring and testing this design. I’m sure Athena will be on here soon. I gave her my number in case she runs into issues signing in

Also, @ZKv, you can direct her to the CreATe Together website and tell her to submit a request for an item. There she can fill out her contact info and I can work with her directly. That’s how I typically field requests for our state program :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@anikolos23

As a baseline, I think it’s going to be important here to connect with the user before digging in too much deeper.

I suspect the main challenge is the portion that connects to the tubing on the chair. The clamp in the photo is the standard spring loaded one, and can rotate around the tube.

Loc-Line can be pretty convenient for positioning and is reasonably cost effective. It can suffer from not enough stiffness, though there are some ways to help stiffen it up such as wrapping tape around it, or inserting tubing (e.g. copper refrigerator line) inside.

I’ve tested a few 3D printed Loc-Line inspired options and while they work reasonably well for very light loads, they don’t tend to be stiff enough for heavier loads (like switches pressed at a distance). I like the screws in the design you linked. While that may address the stiffness issue, need to clarify with @anikolos23 s a baseline, I think it’s going to be important here to connect with the user before digging in too much deeper.

I suspect the main challenge is the portion that connects to the tubing on the chair. The clamp in the photo is the standard spring loaded one, and can rotate around the tube.

Loc-Line can be pretty convenient for positioning and is reasonably cost effective. It can suffer from not enough stiffness, though there are some ways to help stiffen it up such as wrapping tape around it, or inserting tubing (e.g. copper refrigerator line) inside.

I’ve tested a few 3D printed Loc-Line inspired options and while they work reasonably well for very light loads, they don’t tend to be stiff enough for heavier loads (like switches pressed at a distance). I like the screws in the design you linked. While that may address the stiffness issue, need to clarify with @anikolos23 the time and tools required to adjust the position (i.e. loosen and tighten all those screws) is going to work here.

3 Likes

fully agree. I’m very new to this platform, so I’m still getting the lay of the land. I haven’t touched this design since I printed the tester lock line parts. The screw parts are really helpful though!

My program is working with another switch user and we are going to use this Loc-Line idea since in the testing stage is worked like a champ. I will keep the copper tubing in mind as well because that is another idea I didn’t think about!

The latch is going to be an interesting problem to solve, but I will wait to get contact with @anikolos23 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Talked to her yesterday-she’s going to fill out the form you attached

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Sorry for my delayed to response. I texted with Zee a couple times this month. I had my little guy sick and some other medical appts. that kept me busy! Hello Thomas, I just finished filling out the form on the Owl tech information as well. I filled out the 6 questions Temple asked for me to do so on that link you sent me. I also added another request to the other 3 items. Spiro needs a 3D printer Keyguard for his ACC tech for the ipad. Something we talked about this week with his therapist. Is this also an item you can help Spiro out with? Idk anyone locally with a 3D Printer to try and make one for him.

As long as I can secure it in the moment while he is using it but also be able to have it be flexible to clasp at any angle while being in his Spashy bath chair to put in the proper position while playing I am not so picky about how it is made. I am not sure what materials will work best either. I am pretty horrible with this stuff to be honest with you! Also, I am not sure if you had received the 3 photos when I submitted my request to Making Makers Change. If you need the 3 images of the items to give an idea to to mimic or find a way to create it similarly please let me know?

Thank you for your help everyone on the thread above!

Completed this tonight! I just forgot to add about the 3D Keyguard for the ipad in Red for his CVI impairment.