Chin and collarbone support for baroque violin

Hi all, i’m a physiotherapist in a team working on pain problems in musicians.

We tailor interventions on our patients. We want to help a violinist to manage his pain. He played without any kind of supports, forcing his left shoulder and chin to adapt to stabilize the violin in an abnormal way.

It could be useful to design a shoulder support for this playstyle tailored around the neck and the collarbone while working on his posture.

Would you like to help us with a 3D design for a violin support for the collarbone and the chin tailored on the body of our violinist. The support must prevent the violin to slide down and fill the gap between chin and collarbone so that the violinist won’t compensate with neck flexion and shoulder elevation.

Further information can be requested.
Thanks for the support.

2 Likes

Hi @agastaldellipt, I’m not a 3D designer but I am a maker who also plays the violin (with a standard shoulder rest). I came across this design on Thingiverse and thought it might be of interest especially as it adapts to the body of the player. Something to consider maybe with design modifications?

@Janet, This is absolutely amazing that you are a maker with knowledge of violin playing issues. I think one of the challenges of the Baroque violin is the absence of chin, shoulder rest @agastaldellipt may be able to verify this. I can do the 3D printing locally. Would you like to work on it together @Janet?