Assistive Device for Split Rings

This idea came from a published author and user of MMC devices, Brenda. She has created a list of potential ideas for devices. This post describes one of the device ideas:

Project Idea:
The goal of this device is to aid the user in attaching keys, dog tags, or other items to split rings. This device would be intended to be used by individuals who struggle with limited hand mobility and or limited pinch grip strength. Being able to “open” the rings and attach the new device in a way that wouldnt require high levels of grip strength. There are a few different commercial solutions to aid with this but all require grip strength or a pinch grip. But these products may spark some ideas so I will link some of the ones I found below:

split key ring opener with sliding mechanism
split key ring opener- plier type

Support needed:
We are looking for a designer/maker to develop this device. Brenda is open for contact for any feedback or details but currently is not on the forum, so feel free to reach out in the comments to be put in contact.

Avoiding split rings altogether, may be the best option. Keyring type products are available, that don’t use a split ring. I once had a set of keys on carabiner style device like this one:

https://www.niteize.com/product/Infini-Key-Clip.asp

Hope you find this helpful.

Derrick

@MMC_Derrick That is a great option for sure. Brenda wanted this device brought to the forums attention for things that already come with a split ring (mainly a dog collar). Then for those split rings to be opened and items to be taken on and off of it. Potentially a 3D print design like a carabiner to replace the split ring would be a good design for sure. making sure that its approximately the same size of the dog key ring

If it’s going on a dog collar it needs to be very strong and it has to close reliably. Dogs have an eerie ability to get their tags stuck in tight spaces and then pull them off. Probably why split rings are so common.

1 Like