(Adaptive) Gaming for People Who Don't Game

I came across an interesting video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7f3JZJHSw, Warning: Some coarse language) where someone recorded their partner, who has very limited gaming experience, try a variety of different games for the first time.

The informal experiment highlighted that there can be a variety of barriers for someone that isn’t familiar with the ‘language’ of video games and that can negatively affect their experience with a particular game. There are a lot of common conventions that someone new to gaming may not be familiar with. For example, not only figuring out what a button is, but where it is located on the controller.

I thought this was particularly interesting through the lens of adaptive gaming, where those barriers may be added on top of learning a new control interface or cognitive challenges.

Some games do a better job of explaining all the mechanics and controls than others. I’m curious to hear others’ examples of games that do this well, or other resources out there that help get someone new to gaming ‘up to speed’.