Adaptable key positioning keyboard for adults/children with limited ROM

Author: @cspro

Description of Idea:
I’m a newbie to this area, and I’m seeking help with building an adaptable/adjustable keyboard for people with limited range of motion of their arms or hands.

I’ve looked at existing solutions in the market, but haven’t been find any that would allow the following:

1. Position individual keys to match the person’s available ROM, including smaller keys for children.
  2. Easy adjustments to keys to help teach, encourage better typing skills.

As an example, my 8-year old suffered a right brachial plexus injury when he was 2-months old, and has limited ROM of his right arm and hand. I’ve evaluated several keyboard designs (flat, tented, curved/sculpt, etc.) in the market, but unfortunately none are currently a good fit for his right hand.

I would like to learn or partner with somebody to build a flexible keyboard that allows positioning of keys… for example, semi-spherical/ball shaped, or upside down tented, etc. Are there any existing solutions (even partial) available to jump start this project?

To summarize, instead of bending the body to fit a keyboard, lets bend the keyboard to match the person’s ROM.

MMC Entry I.D: 6817

Hi there,
So I have a couple of things that come to mind that could help with this. One thing is I know they make flexible silicone keyboards, which you could possibly try putting over a surface to curve it ideally for the user. Alternatively, you could maybe try doing a bit of a toy hack on it by cutting the silicone with a sharp knife and hooking up some adaptive switches. This would take a lot of adaptive switches to do the full keyboard, but would be fully adaptable, and there are many different switch options in the MMC library.

Another possibility is the Lipsync Macro, which is a sip n puff device that emulates a USB keyboard.

1 Like